Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Why Should I Hire You?


Although the title of my blog is the "Writer's Struggle," I wanted "writer" to represent any and every profession anyone may be pursuing.  As a writer, I am well aware of the competition I am up against when trying to secure a position in my field.  The one question that always seems to get me when I'm being interviewed is, "Why should I Hire You?"  I'm actually guilty of "thinking," (not saying) honestly, I have no idea.  What is it that employers want to hear?  Is there a right or wrong answer?  After interviewing the Director of Human Resources for a prestigious Hotel in Atlanta, the answer is definitely, "yes!"

CNN's Rachel Zupek, posted ten reasons why you may not be getting hired.  These reason range from lying in the interview to having too much digital dirt.  Yes, they are tracking your social media sites when making hiring decisions.  Please be responsible when posting pictures and/or questionable comments.  All of these reason are substantial when being interviewed by a potential Company but what happens when the decision comes down to two candidates?  If a Company has two candidates that are more than qualified for the same position, what other attributes can help you stand apart?  Different careers choices may have different qualifications they're looking for but one characteristic continued to come up in my conversation with the Director of Human Resources, Dee Dee Stewart.  That characteristic is, ATTITUDE.  Ms. Stewart states, boldly and without conviction, "I would rather hire an individual with a great attitude and less experience than one with great experience and a terrible attitude."  Anthony Balderrama has a unique view on how attitude affects not just your professional life, but how people perceive you in general. 

In the field of writing, writers have to be go getters.  It is virtually impossible to have an, "I give up," attitude as a writer, because you will be told "no," more often than "yes."  If you have the ability to take rejection as a stepping stone instead of an obstacle, there is no limit to your potential and your success.  I know many of you have heard the saying, "your attitude determines your altitude."  This is true in almost every aspect of life.  This trait can provide you limitless success especially when coupled with experience and the drive to succeed.  Another great quality that can determine your level of success, is your ability to fail.  In some instances, failure has been perceived as being negative, and this couldn't be further from the truth.  After all it's not the failure that's beneficial, it's the lessons learned from that failure and the attitude you choose in dealing with it.  Frederick P. has written a great article on why you need to fail.  It's impossible to fail at something you've never tried.  Who wants to go through life being so afraid of failure that you never try anything new.  It's not a very rewarding life.

Always remember as you prepare for your dream career, everything you've experienced in your life has made you who you are.  Embrace and recognize your strengths while continuing to work on your weaknesses.  Your attitude is a very important first impression and as they say, "you never get a second chance to make one."  Whenever I begin to have a bad attitude, I pretend I'm being watched by the very person holding my career in their hands.  You wouldn't believe how quickly my attitude shifts.  The truth is, you never really know who's watching, so carry yourself accordingly.  I believe you can do anything you set your mind and attitude to do.  Pursue your dreams and enjoy the journey because the destination means you've reached the end.  So the next time a potential employer asks, "Why should I hire you?" tell them, because, "I have the attitude to succeed!"

1 comment:

  1. This is a very informative post. The Zupek post gives cause for concern in this interconnected world. And while you were writing from the perspective of a writer, I really think that this information applies to many job seekers in this very competitive job market. David Clarke offers a post that gives 10 tips for job seekers in the digital age. This article nicely compliments your post. It addresses some of the same topics that you covered, but also mentions that it is beneficial to connect via social media prior to your interview. Additionally, Clarke suggests leaving a comment or two, or re-tweeting a post that you find of interest. His also touches on some of the basics like shutting off your phone and sitting up straight. I enjoyed your post and it has given me some good stuff to think about. Thanks for the informative post!

    ReplyDelete